Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Staying Healthy










I go back and forth with eating really healthy, and eating like crap. This past 6 months, I've been trying really hard to only put healthy things inside my body. This is the diet I usually stick to and feel & look the best when I do. Just thought I would share a few of my favorite things. Please feel free to let me know of any of your favorites!!





BREAKFAST -- I absolutely love KASHI GO LEAN. All of their products are great!! I either have 1 pkg of oatmeal or 1 cup cereal with 1/2 cup LIGHT VANILLA SOY MILK (I like 8th Continent or SILK) I have this in the morning before I workout.





LUNCH-- I like to call this SARA'S SMOOTHIE DELIGHT:
1/2 apple (w/ skin)
1 sm banana (or 1/2 large banana)
1/4 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 handful spinach leaves
1/2 c. vanilla protein powder (my favorite is EVOLVE)
1 c. light plain or vanilla soy milk (can use regular skim milk)
1/2 c. water
1 c. ice
*optional 1/2 c. fat free yogurt

BLEND VERY WELL!! MAKES 2 LG OR 4 SM SERVINGS...MY BOYS LOVE IT!!

DINNER-- I love the frozen Tilapia from COSTCO. There is a great recipe on the back of the bag. I usually just cook it with lemon juice, lemon pepper & garlic salt. It is fat & carb free, and has a ton of protein and hardly any calories. Also, it is a very mild tasting fish, so don't worry if you aren't a fish person, you will still love this!

Another dinner staple of mine is SALAD. I absolutely LOVE salads...especially huge ones w/ chicken. My sister Stacey loves them too, and when we are together, we can go thru a giant bag of Costco spinach in 2 days!! My everyday spinach salad is:

3 c. spinach
1 diced apple (pink ladies are my favorite)
a little thinly sliced red onion
1 grilled chicken breast
2 T. fresh parmasan cheese
DRESSING: light or fat-free Raspberry Vinagrette

SNACKS:
VIVA cottage cheese
PINK LADY apples
TWISTED protein bars (from Costco)
yogurt
almonds
WEIGHT WATCHERS popcicles
BOLTHOUSE FARMS juices (Green Goodness, Blue Goodness, Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai, Vedge, or C-Boost)

Also 2 wks ago, I started taking Green TeaHP. It comes in a little pixie and you add it to 16 oz of water 20-30 min. before breakfast and lunch. It is a known fat burner, and has tons of vitamins and anti-oxidents. Only has as much caffine as a cup of hot chocolate. Also, it is known for anti-aging...that is what sold me!!! It doesn't list this in benefits, but it is a great appetite suppressant for me as well!! I forgot to take it to Mexico, ate like crap, and gained 5 lbs!! I took this and the 5lbs was off in 3 days! Coincidence....??? For more info on it, go to greenteahp.com

And last but not least, twice a week I do a colon cleanse. It sounds worse than it is! I use SUPER DIETER'S TEA. You start out brewing one bag for 5 minutes. It doesn't say this on the box, but the more you use it, you have to make it stronger. I'm up to brewing 2 bags for one hour!!












7 comments:

Smiley0709 said...

Sounds YUMMY! I LOVE those TWISTWD bars. So glad you guys told me about them.. YUM!! I'm gonna take some of your ideas here.. Maybe I can start eating a little healthier too :)

Lindsey said...

So about the cottage cheese, why do I consider it to be so healthy? Is it healthy? Or is it a myth? I mean afterall, it is still cheese right? But I give myself a pat on the back when i have it for lunch or that is one thing I will let Emma eat as much as she wants of it. What's the health word with cottage cheese?

Annie said...

I don't care if it IS after midnight, I'm on my way to the store! Thanks for the great tips.

Lee said...

good tips sara- i wish we had a costco!

Joyce Anne said...

Sara, this would be Joyce your Moms oldest (both in age and longivity of friendship) friend. Question on the Green Tea HP....Does it have a brand name and where could I find it? Anti-aging...I am all over that.

Jamie Jo said...

What exactly does a colon cleanse do? Connie e-mailed me this morning and told me to add green tea to my day. Poor you, you gained 5 pounds! What did that put you at? 105?

Jamie Jo said...

Hi Joyce this is Sara using Jamie's computer. I bought the green tea at a kiosk in our mall, but go to greenteahp.com, I think you can order it from their website!!