Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Dad's 60th Birthday!!

PAY IT FORWARD



I can't believe my dad turned 60 yrs old today! He looks more like 50, and is in as good of shape as a 20 yr old! To celebrate his birthday, he ran a 1/2 marathon in 1 hr. 54 min....not to shabby for a 60 yr old!!! My dad is such a good example and I am so lucky to be one of his daughters!! So, for my dad's birthday, my mom and him came up with an idea to PAY IT FORWARD. Instead of us giving my dad any birthday gifts, he sent me and my 3 sisters each $100 dollars. He asked that as families, we thought of something we could do with the money that could help someone in need. Today, we met up with the Bundy's at St. Anne's (a homeless shelter in Ogden) and met 3 women that had small children. Their names were, Tammy, Roxanne, and Bonnie. Lindsey had briefly mentioned on the phone to the manager what we were doing this for, so the women wanted to know all about our dad and his birthday wish. They were so appreciative, and right away asked if they could send mom and dad a thank you card. They told us some items that their small children needed; socks, underwear, and spring clothing. We split up the list and headed off. There were 5 children, and we bought all of them socks, underwear, and shoes. The Bundys bought them some clothing. We met back up about an hour later with the items, and the women and children were so excited! I had bought the little girls some hot pink DORA crocs, and they LOVED them! The mothers were so down to earth, and kept saying how grateful they were over, and over. It was such a fun, and neat experience to do, and made us realize how important service is. There are so many material things in life that we don't need, and so many people in need of our help. Cody and I really want to make an effort to do this kind of service as much as possible. We are so grateful to my parents for helping us experience the joy of serving and helping others in need. Happy birthday Papa, we love you!!!!

10 comments:

Annie said...

Good grief, I'm crying over all your comments. I think Trace will be a mess when he reads them in the morning. Thank you for your caring hearts.

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad we were able to join our efforts to make sure these children had all their needs met.

Jamie Jo said...

That's cool that you guys were able to do it together. Having been a single mother, I know how hard it is to worry about your children's needs and how grateful you are when someone does something for them. And I wasn't even homeless! I bet they will never forget that. That's awesome that you could pics of your people too. That wasn't really an option for us.

The Skeen's said...

This is the most fabulous idea! I loved reading the post. Your family is really an inspirational example to all of us. I turn 60 this year also and I just might steal this idea if you don't mind passing it on.

Happy Birthday Trace!!!

Lee said...

we read all the skeen girls blogs for our FHE. it was a very inspirational message, and we all loved reading your messages and seeing your picts. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey said...

New post please

Smiley0709 said...

WOw..!! I almost cried too when I read this.. I'm wiping one away now.. There is NO greater gift than giving.. especially to someone who really needs it. How special to do that together. You guys rock!! And you have a BEAUTIFUL family too!! This blogging stuff is so fun! Yours is sweet!

Jamie Jo said...

Hey little sis. I'm so glad that we are officially best friends. We should call each other every day and get together twice a week, ya know, just to keep the flow going. I think about you all the time and sometimes I pretend like you're there with me, and I talk to you while I'm doing the dishes, it makes me feel closer to you.

Jamie Jo said...

Linny! You nerd! Sara, disregard above comment. It is blog sabatage by Linny, who got my password! Not the probably are going to check these comments, since you haven't blogged in forever. I'm considering taking you off my list!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Sara. I was totally excited to find your blog! This truely is such a blessing. I just love blogging. I found you through Sid Madsens blog, and was so glad to see your DARLING FAMILY! I am glad that you are looking so hot, and doing so well. Congrats! Just thought I'd say hi! Maybe you've seen them already. But there are links on my blog for Ashley, Annie, Natalie Madsen... and I know we are working on getting a few other 6th warders going. Hopefully they will.

TAKE CARE! Aimee (Cutright) Teerlink