Monday, November 10, 2008

Everyday Appreciation

















We spent another week-end at a cabin in Bear Lake with my family, and I read a thought- provoking book by Richard Carlson entitled: DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF, and I really liked this thought...Everyday, Tell at Least One Person Something You Like, Admire or Appreciate about Them.

How often do you remember to tell people how much you like, admire, or appreciate them? For many people, it's not often enough. In fact, when I ask people how often they receive heartfelt compliments from others, I hear answers like "I can't remember the last time I received a compliment." "Hardly ever, " and "I never receive them."

There are several reasons why we don't vocally let others know about our positive feelings toward them. I've heard excuses like, "They don't need to hear me say that--they already know," and "I do admire her, but I'm too embarrassed to say anything." But when you ask the would-be recipient if he or she enjoys being given genuine compliments and positive feed-back, the answer nine times out of ten is, "I love it." Whether your reason for not giving compliments on a regular basis is not knowing what to say, embarrassment, feeling that other people should know their strengths and don't need to be told, it's time for a change.

Telling someone something that you like, admire, or appreciate about them is a "random act of kindness." It takes almost no effort and it pays enormous dividends. Many people spend their entire lifetimes wishing that other people would acknowledge them. They feel this especially about their parents, spouses, children, and friends. But even compliments from strangers feel good if they are genuine. Letting someone know how you feel about them also feels good for the person offering the compliment. It's a gesture of loving kindness. It means that your thoughts are geared toward what's right with someone. And when your thoughts are geared in a positive direction, your feelings are peaceful.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Kid, those are great words of advice. Sure had fun with you at Bear Lake:)

Joyce Anne said...

Great thoughts Sara. It is such a simple thing to compliment and thank others. It costs us nothing and gives us the opportunity to show gratitude. I find that when I look for and recognize the good in others, I can usually see a little tiny bit of the trait in myself. I think it is the gift we get back. Thanks.

Lindsey said...

Wow Sara, who knew you were so deep? What about all those times when you used to get mad at me for always complimenting you. I think you and Stacey made fun of me for it. Oh well, perhaps you'll be on my team now. :)

Jamie Jo said...

I love that book, Sara. Sad that you just discovered it, but better late then never. I have Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With Your Family as well, if you ever want to borrow. One thing I admire about you is your dedication to exercise and Lacy LeBeau.

Kylee said...

Great thoughts! That sounds like a good book.

Vonnie said...

I totally agree Sara with your thoughts. We don't give enough praise or positive comments to one another. It gives us all something to think about and to strive for.

Lee said...

Good thoughts Sara- I just got a card in the mail yesterday from a friend in the ward telling me some kind things, and it made my day! I'm sure it took her all of 5 minutes to do, and it will affect me for days! It's so easy to do kind things for others- but sometimes we get too wrapped up in our own lives to think about it.

Stacey said...

Very thought provoking indeed. In fact very mysterious :>